Thursday, November 17, 2016

Tools of the Trade

While my educational background includes a lot of engineering and a fair bit of biology, my professional experience is in software development.  The one thing I've learned from all this is that tools are always changing.  So, we should expect that the tools I talk about here won't necessarily be the same tools I'll use in every project.  But let's talk about the tools I'm using to get a decent level of control now.

Arduino
Yes, Arduino.  These small microcontrollers are in nearly every electronics project you find online these days.  And, there are several good reasons for that.  They are simple to use, flexible, and have a great community of fellow users who are eager to support new users.  Programming is also simple and uses the c/c++ language.  And, with several cheap clones available, they are pretty inexpensive too.

Moteino
Moteino is an Arduino variant that is about the size of two quarters (smaller if you don't solder on all the headers).  Currently in revision 4, these micro controllers contain an RFM69 transceiver for wireless communications and may optionally include a 4mbit flash chip.  I chose this variant for its small size and integrated wireless capability.

Electronics
I use a basic multi meter that can measure ohms and volts DC.  I don't think I've ever used it to measure amps and rarely use it for AC voltage.

I use a variable DC power supply and rarely exceed 12V.

I use a 200MHz Oscilloscope.  I do a fare bit of debugging during development (how long does that interrupt take anyway?) and there's just no better tool than an oscilloscope for some situations.

Fabrication
I use a 3D printer - extensively.  Seriously, my desk is littered with early prototypes, half-baked ideas, and a few spectacular failures that serve as my own personal warning to never do THAT again.  Hmm...  Maybe I should clean this place up?  And, since I'm primarily a programmer, I like the free Openscad software package to design parts.  Do YOU NEED a 3D printer?  Well, probably not.  I bet I could get away with using wood for a lot of the things I make but 3D printing parts is often very satisfying and, if done properly, produces a nice result.

Soldering Iron
This is a must for any electronics project.  While I'm developing, I use a solderless breadboard so I can make changes easily but, when it comes time to deploy, I solder a permanent circuit together.

No comments:

Post a Comment